Bridgetown, Barbados, May 21st, 2020 (CDEMA) - SYNERGY 2020 will be held on Monday May 25th and will take the format of an online “War-Gaming” discussion from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM (AST). The focus will be on the simultaneous regional coordination of a Health/ Biological Hazard (COVID-19) and a major Hurricane impact.
The forecast for the 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season suggests an above average activity. CDEMA acknowledges the possibility that the COVID-19 Pandemic crisis will persist throughout the 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season. As such, SYNERGY 2020 will facilitate a real-time review of the ongoing regional operations in response to the novel COVID-19 Pandemic and evaluate the regional hurricane season preparations for operations in a pandemic environment. The findings from SYNERGY 2020 will be used to enhance the ongoing joint coordination of emergency operations for COVID-19 in addition to strengthening the protocols of the regional and national multi-hazard plans for operating within a pandemic environment.
The objectives of SYNERGY 2020 are as follows:
- To identify gaps and challenges in the regional coordination of COVID-19 and facilitate learning for strengthening the coordination mechanism;
- To identify areas for strengthening the joint regional coordination of severe Tropical Disturbance Hazards within the context of a pandemic environment;
- To orient participants to the Regional Protocol for the Management of COVID-19;
- To optimize and make efficient use of available resources for the management of the COVID-19 Pandemic and other potential disasters in the region;
- To generate feedback from the RRM Partners to inform the update of the Regional Coordination Plan (RCP).
SYNERGY is the flagship Regional Exercise designed to test the joint coordination of emergency response operations among the partners of the Regional Response Mechanism (RRM) in response to a disaster event in any CDEMA Participating State (PS). It is coordinated by the CDEMA Coordinating Unit (CU) with support from regional and international emergency stakeholders. SYNERGY provides a forum for orienting the RRM partners to their respective roles in accordance with their disaster mandates and the Regional Coordination Plan (RCP).
SYNERGY 2020 is sponsored through the Targeted Support to CDEMA Project funded by Global Affairs Canada, Government of Canada.
#PreparedCaribbean #ResilientStates #SaferLives #SYNERGY2020 #Partnerships #RRM